Dissertation Proofreading vs. Editing
This is it. Your moment to shine. You have spent considerable time researching a concept intended to contribute new knowledge, practices, or theories to your field. Do not risk the potential acceptance of your dissertation - work with a professional proofreader or editor.
Which one is more important: Proofreading or editing?
Proofreading services correct misspellings, punctuation, and typos. A proofreader may also suggest improvements to improve the messaging. Professional proofreaders will track document changes for you.
Academic editing services for dissertations include proofreading, and the editor has subject matter expertise and can help you with messaging, accuracy, and referencing sources. They’ll also evaluate your knowledge of the subject matter, your understanding of the issues, and your argument’s presentation style.
The importance of proofreading and editing
Even if you are an excellent writer, proofreading your work is never a good idea. Switching your hat from researcher to writer to editor is a costly mistake many doctoral candidates make when working on their dissertations. Since you are familiar with your work and what it is supposed to say, you are more likely to skip over obvious errors to a neutral third-party.
Finding the right academic editor
You are almost there! You have passed the review stage, and your final submission is just around the corner. Now is the best time to have an expert academic editor review your final draft.
How do you go about finding the right editor? Consider a service provider instead of an individual. When you hire an editor service, you get a few extras:
- Customer support . Make sure the proofreading service you choose offers its clients a customer-centric experience. Providing customers with a representative to contact to help sort any issues is a hallmark of a great proofreading service.
- Subject expertise and advanced degrees . Some dissertations are highly specialized and require the eyes of a professional in the same field of study. Look for editing services from editors with advanced academic degrees (master’s, Ph.D.) or research-based and scientific backgrounds. It guarantees that you’ll receive a review of more than just grammar and spelling errors. Choosing an editor who understands the knowledge behind your work makes it easier to spot flaws in evidentiary findings or other research used to defend your dissertation.
- Turnaround time and availability . Choosing a proofreading service that respects your deadlines is crucial. The best proofreading services provide clients with several options for turnaround times to ensure you have your finished dissertation in plenty of time for your final submission. They also will be available when you need them most, responding to new requests for assistance promptly. Writing a dissertation is stressful enough without adding the possibility of missing your submission deadline because an editor did not return your work in time.
Perfecting your final draft
Your dissertation speaks volumes about your dedication to your field and your value as a future contributor of innovative practices and theories. Do not trust your future to just any academic editing service.
Our academic editing services include:
- Grammar, spelling, and punctuation errors, and typos corrected
- Suggestions for improved clarity, flow, and readability
- Tracked changes markup so you can review original content and suggested changes
- Formatting citations and references when provided with your document
You have total control over which editor you choose. You can select a personal editor based on their profile, qualifications, skills, and ratings from other students who have worked with them. Our editors are university faculty, published authors, professional editors, and retired professionals eager to share their love of words. If you prefer, we can match you with qualified editors based on your dissertation topic or field of study. Working with an editor familiar with your field of study is an excellent resource for improving your dissertation.
Writing a dissertation is stressful. The last thing you need is anxiety over whether your final product will be polished and ready to present. You can count on our editors and a variety of turnaround times guaranteed to meet your deadlines. Reach out to us today to learn how we can help with dissertation editing.